POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : contained_by qiery : Re: contained_by qiery Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: contained_by qiery
From: Dennis Milller
Date: 22 Jul 2001 21:43:03
Message: <3b5b8127$1@news.povray.org>
The real question is rather simple: you can define the "container" using a
shape:
 sphere <0,0,0>, 2

but you can't perform any type of modifications to that sphere, such as

sphere <0,0,0>, 2 scale * .2

so even if it is simply defining the limits of the isosurface, which I
understand, I wonder why you can't apply scale, rotate, or other
transformations to the container.

The second question is why other shapes besides the box and sphere can't be
used; does anyone know the history/reasoning behind that?
Rather than intersecting the isosurface itself with other shapes, I just
thought it might be useful to have means to transform the container or use
other shapes directly as the container; that would be the simplest solution
for my purposes.
Best,
D.